Dáil Éireann - Volume 1 - 06 August, 1920
MINISTERIAL MOTIONS. - INCREASE OF RENT DECREE.
SECRETARY FOR HOME AFFAIRS SECRETARY FOR HOME AFFAIRS
The SECRETARY FOR HOME AFFAIRS stated that the Sub-Committee appointed earlier in the day to consider the Increase of Rent Decree had now submitted their recommendations.
The Decree as amended by the Sub-Committee was as follows:—
“IT IS HEREBY DECREED:
(1) “That no landlord of any dwellinghouse shall compel a tenant to quit his holding or terminate or refuse to renew the tenancy of any tenant if the tenant shall pay a reasonable increase of rent.
(2) “A ‘reasonable increase of rent’ shall mean:
(a) An amount calculated at the rate of 6% per annum on the expenditure on the improvement or structural alteration of the dwellinghouse (not including expenditure on decoration or repairs).
(b) And in addition any increase in the amount payable by the landlord in respect of rates over the rates paid in respect of the corresponding period which included the 3rd Aug., 1914.
(c) In further addition where the landlord is responsible for the whole of the external and sanitary repairs an amount not exceeding 15 per cent. on the net rent.
(3) “The expression ‘net rent’ means where the tenant paid the rates, the rent at which the premises were let on the 3rd August, 1914, or where the premises were not let on that date, the rent at which they were last let before that date or in the case of premises first let after said date, the rent at which they were first let, and where the landlord paid the rates the said rent less the amount of such rates.
(4) “That pending further legislation the Secretary of State for Home Affairs, with the approval of the Ministry, be empowered to make such regulations as the Ministry shall deem fit to carry out the provisions of this Decree.
(5) “This Decree shall be deemed to have come into operation as from 1st July, 1920.”
He formally moved the adoption of the Decree as amended.
S. MACDONNACHADA (Tipperary N.) S. MACDONNACHADA (Tipperary N.)
S. MACDONNACHADA (Tipperary N.) seconded the motion which was put and carried.
Dáil Éireann 1 MINISTERIAL MOTIONS. INCREASE OF RENT DECREE.