Dáil Éireann - Volume 344 - 07 July, 1983
Written Answers. - Community Games Grants.
Mr. Colley Mr. Colley
143. Mr. Colley asked the Minister for Education the current position in regard to the application by the national executive council of the community games for grants totalling £116,000 from her Department.
Mr. Molloy Mr. Molloy
144. Mr. Molloy asked the Minister for Education if she will allocate a grant of £116,000 to the national executive council of the community games to enable the continued involvement by and development of the movement in 1983; and if she will make a statement on the matter.
Mr. Tunney Mr. Tunney
145. Mr. Tunney asked the Minister for Education if, in view of the unique position and importance of the community games, she will arrange for a substantial increase in this year's financial assistance; and, if so, when it will be forthcoming.
Mr. J. O'Leary Mr. J. O'Leary
146. Mr. J. O'Leary asked the Minister for Education if she will increase the grant payable by her Department for the community games; and if she will make a statement on the matter.
Minister for Education (Mrs. Hussey) Gemma Hussey
Minister for Education (Mrs. Hussey): I propose to take Questions Nos. 143 to 146, inclusive, together.
 The National Community Games will receive financial assistance from my Department totalling approximately £43,500 in the current year. This amount comprises:—
(1) a grant of £22,500 to assist towards the organisation and administration of the games at a national level;
(2) a grant of £7,000 to assist with the employment of a development officer and
(3) an amount of approximately £14,000 in respect of the cost of employing a full-time general secretary.
It is not possible at present to increase the level of financial assistance to the National Community Games in view of the current constraints on State expenditure. However should any additional funds become available to me later this year I will sympathetically reconsider the level of grant aid to this operation.
Dáil Éireann 344 Written Answers. Community Games Grants.